FUNDAMENTALS OF FUNCTIONAL NUTRITION COURSE
WHAT IS IT?
This course is based on the vitalistic philosophy of food and provides a foundation of functional nutrition. It will enable you to develop extensive knowledge and understanding of past and current trends that influence our health and well-being today.
** N.B. This course is based on the 1st 6 modules from last year’s Functional Nutrition course
If you purchase Package 1 – ‘Fundamentals Of Functional Nutrition‘ course, you will have the option to purchase ‘Applied Functional Nutrition’ course separately. Completing ‘Fundamentals of Functional Nutrition’ course is a prerequisite to enrol in ‘Applied Functional Nutrition’ course. Please contact the office for more information.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
It is perfect for you if you are:
- Passionate about health and nutrition
- Looking for a short course to develop your understanding of nutrition and diet
- Wanting to improve your health and your family’s health
This course aims to provide you with:
- An understanding of Functional Nutrition and vitalistic health
- Knowledge to investigate and research past and current nutritional trends that have a direct impact on the health and well-being of people today
- The tools to simplify the complexity of the food and nutrition ‘landscape’
At the conclusion of this course, you will:
- Have a fundamental knowledge and understanding of vitalism and functional nutrition
- Be inspired and empowered to make sustained and holistic nutritional changes in their own life
- Have the knowledge to make an impact in the lives of those within their circle of influence, creating a ripple effect of improved health in their community
- Be able to build on their theoretical knowledge and understanding, study the Applied Functional Nutrition course and apply this to specific health issues
- Be able to take the Applied Functional Nutrition and Applied Business courses and establish their own business in health and wellness sector.
Pre-requisite for ‘Applied Functional Nutrition’ course
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
MODULE 1 – HISTORY OF NUTRITION TRENDS
This module provides participants with an introduction to the Functional Nutrition philosophy. It takes participants on a food and nutritional journey through time to create an understanding of current food trends and nutritional habits in modern society. It creates a foundation for participants to commence their investigative journey into the world of food and nutrition, and provides the core principles that support the overall course. Lessons included in this module are:
- Anthropology and diet: an evolutionary perspective
- Food trends and cultural influences on food
- Nutrition in the 21st century
MODULE 2 – VITALISM & THE MODERN WORLD
With more of a biomedical focus, this Module provides participants with the essential information about the relationship between nutrition and the human body as an intelligent, self-aware system that processes food in a natural way to achieve health and longevity. It builds on Module 1 and the concept of vitalism to reinforce the philosophy and concepts behind the human intelligence. Lessons included in this module are:
- Nutrients and health
- Cells, tissues, organs and organ systems
- Metabolism and the energetics of food
- The digestive system
MODULE 3 – IMPACTS OF THE MODERN WORLD
This module will introduce the participant to the modern influences that disrupt the ‘innate’ human intelligence of the body. It will discuss the role of marketing and advertising of foods on health, supplements, drugs, food additives, chemicals and genetically modified foods, and how these impact on our daily lives and health status. Lessons included in this module are:
- Supplements, drugs and food additives
- Influences of marketing and advertisement
- The chemical revolution
- Genetic modification
MODULE 4 – THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
This module will allow participants to gain detailed knowledge about the Immune System, Autoimmunity and Immune Dysfunction and how they can be influenced by food and nutrition. Participants will investigate food allergies, sensitivities and intolerances to establish the differences between them and identify their consequences as they appear in the human body. Finally, the module will explore one of the largest areas of the Immune System, the Gut, focusing on understanding ‘Leaky Gut’. Lessons included in this module are:
- The amazing immune system
- Autoimmunity and immune dysfunction
- Nutrition, immune function and probiotics
- A leaky gut and autoimmune disease
MODULE 5 – CHOLESTEROL AND FATS
This module explores a key component in any diet – Cholesterol and Fats. It looks at the facts about cholesterol and fats, their relationship with the human body and their impact on human health. Lessons included in this module are:
- Traditional and evolving beliefs about fat and cholesterol
- Fats 101
- Good fat, bad fat
- The impact of fat and cholesterol on the human body: Implications for disease
MODULE 6 – THE ROLE OF SUGAR AND SALT
This module explores the basic science, history and nutritional role of sugar in the human body. Participants will learn about Insulin resistance, Type I and Type II Diabetes. They will also learn to recognise the properties of sugar that can impact on an individual’s overall health and wellbeing. Lessons included in this module are:
- Sugar: historical perspective, science and nutritional roles in the human body
- Insulin resistance: evolution and disease processes
- Type 1 diabetes and Type 2 diabetes
- Management strategies for diabetes
HOW WILL THE COURSE BE DELIVERED?
- 6 online learning modules – Each module consists of lesson notes, videos, audios, activities to apply the learning and develop your critical thinking
- Reflective feedback provided by our qualified facilitators
- Study anytime with the self-paced online course
- Support from the Functional Nutrition Academy team
- Online forum and private Facebook group
- 12 month access to the online content
READY TO ENROL?
Enrolments are open!